How to Date a Traditional Bear Bow - In the world of archery, "*Bear Archery*" is a brand manufacturer from the USA which was started by Fred Bear. The company has been around for decades - si...
The Toronto Air Show, a poignant reminder of what an invasion sounds like - Every year the sounds of military jet engines breaking the sound barrier while flying over the city of Toronto serve as advertising that the Toronto Air Sh...
Swimwear should suit body, not trends
Swimwear should suit body, not trends, says fashion model Monika Schnarre.
TORONTO — Elegantly clad in all black and peep-toe heels, it's hard to imagine anything could look less than flattering on Monika Schnarre.
But the statuesque former supermodel recently spoke candidly of one swimwear look that wasn't among her best - the boy short.
"I looked back at pictures from the cottage, and it was in a really bright print - and I've got a booty," recalled the six-foot-two Schnarre. "It didn't look good. It wasn't good for me."
"There are skirted options, which I think are really flattering, but that's where someone has to be really honest with you, and say, 'It's not working, Monika. You're really not rocking out the boy short."'
Schnarre said while it's tempting to snap up the trendy new item off the rack, sometimes what's hot doesn't necessarily work for everyone - and that's OK.
"I've always said in fashion, it doesn't matter what the trends are, you should wear what looks best on you, regardless of what's in," she said. "If skinny jeans don't look good on you, don't wear them."
The Toronto-based beauty, who has graced the covers of Vogue and pages of the famed Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition, is suiting up once again - this time as the face of a Canadian brand making a comeback.
Following a decade-long hiatus, Sea Queen is relaunching with a new swimwear line designed to fit women 35 and older.
But the 37-year-old Schnarre said the pieces are "not your old lady swimsuits" and that the collection incorporates looks inspired by the runway.
Among the one-piece, two-piece and tankini suits that comprise the line, the swimsuits include bold accents like belts, metallics and exotic tiger and jungle prints.
When trying to find the right size, Schnarre said the focus should be on the fit rather than the number on the tag, which may not match up to what you normally wear in clothes.
"If you wear something that's too tight, it can work in clothing, maybe, but in a swimsuit it's not forgiving, and you don't want any digging into the skin," she said.
"And don't get hung up on the size. If you're a size 6, you might want an 8 or a 10 just because again, you don't want cutting into the skin. It's not flattering."
For those with a larger bust, Schnarre suggests trying out a halter which is adjustable, thus allowing you as much or as little support as you need, while women with a smaller bustline may want a little enhancement in the form of a bra.
Among the features in the Sea Queen line is a built-in bra with malleable moulded cups featuring flexible underwires touted as being able to keep their shape in and out of the water.
For a more boyish figure, Schnarre said ruching can create some curve as well as a beautiful waistline.
And while belts can be a stylish addition, in the case of women who are petite with a slim build, the empire waist may be a better option because it gives the illusion of looking taller, Schnarre said.
"If you're quite short, I think that a belt on the waist would just cut you in half," she said.
"But up here, (it) creates the illusion of a waistline and a longer torso," she added, motioning to a suit featuring the empire waist.
As for accessories, Schnarre likes to infuse a little glamour in her swimwear look by wearing heels around the pool which helps to elongate the leg, in addition to donning a hat and sunscreen.
But she stresses that whatever bathing suit buyers opt to pick up, their focus should be on selecting something that looks great on you - no matter what's considered "in."
"If a one-piece is in, but you look better in a bikini, rock the bikini, it doesn't matter," she said. "It's all about looking your best."
Additional tips on how to flaunt assets, minimize flaws with right swimwear
For a woman with...
A large chest: Look for suits with underwire, soft cups with wider straps for best support.
A small chest: Look for suits with detailing and pattern on top which will give the illusion of a larger chest. Two-piece bathing swimsuits are also a great way to enhance the bust.
Full hips: Try a suit with a skirt to visually even out your line. Printed top with solid coloured bottoms also help draw the eye upward.
A tummy: Look for suits that have a built-in tummy control and those with ruching or a crossover design to help camouflage your midsection.
A short torso: Try a bikini to elongate your body. Two-piece swimsuits with lower cut bottoms give the illusion of a longer torso.
A long torso: Try suits that give you a balance effect. A deeply-cut neckline, higher waisted and higher cut bottoms help make the torso appear shorter.
Spanish airline Iberia has cut an advertisement showing black Cuban women in bikinis bottle feeding a baby tourist as he sings "feed me...
FASHION - Worried little girls are growing up too fast? British fashion chain Primark recently stopped selling padded bikini tops for litt...
Wrestling companies have often promoted their top stars based on, of all things, a body part. It's not really that difficult to see why;...
According to reports coming from France, sunbathers on the Cote d'Azur, who once adopted a "laissez faire" attitude to nakedne...
It is hard to say exactly when heroines started appearing in bikini in Bollywood, and who was the first gal to strike a pose wearing skimpy ...
The first day of daylight saving brought fine, sunny weather to much of the country yesterday and spurred about 30 hardy souls to carve the...
Though 1980s beach films seem objectifying and anti-feminist , they offer a utopian space where class and gender hierarchies begin to dissol...
April 14, 2007. TEMPERATURES soared this week at the English heats of Miss Hawaiian Tropic - the world's biggest bikini bab...
- Mission Statement
- The History of the Bikini
- Runway Fashion 01
- Laetitia Casta's Fur Bikini
- Bikini News: Ursula's 007 bikini sold in auction
- Faculty Bikini Carwash Generates Controversy
- Spain questions Armani girl in bikini ad
- Mismatched Bikinis
- This advert isn't sexist. Yeah right.
- Bare Essentials for Bikini Season
- Alicia Mayer wears a lettuce bikini for PETA
- Our culture is sexualizing young girls
- Bikini Paradise - The Movie?
- The Bikini Book
- Bikini Accessories
- Workout aims to give you bikini body
- Bikini Village investor eyes expansion
- Students to Compete in Bikini Bowl
- Bikini Fashion 01
- Pregnant Beach Babes
- Brave Kylie models swimwear
- Armani Junior Ad Too Controversial?
- Study Shows Schoolgirls Provocatively Dressed Less...
- Bathing suit guide for all body types
- Size zero vs size 18
- Sports & Sex Forever Intertwined
- Bikinis in Winter???
- Fifties Swimwear Will Heat Up Summer 2007
- Weird Bikini
- Bikini 1946 to Present
- Simple Rules for getting Bikini Fit
- TOP TEN BIKINI HINTS
- Try on that Bikini this Month
- Ryanair's bikini babes
- Mossimo Bikini Summit
- Could Survivor thrive in bikini-less North?
- Courtney Love Wears Bikini After Losing Weight
- Motorbikers all in a lather after bikini-clad bike...
- Firefighter In Bikini Gets Arrested
- Psychiatric evaluation for bikini-clad fireman
- Got the Bikini Blues? It's Not Too Late to Drop a ...
- Funny Bikinis 01
- Funny Bikinis 02
- Funny Bikinis 03
- Getting Fit: Bikini Body Countdown
- Miss Hawaii Bikini Contest
- Baywatch Bikini Party Enrages Muslims in Indonesia...
- Bikini Wax Bars coming to your local city
- Miss Earth 2007 - Bikini Contest
- H&M's Kylie Minogue Bikini Range
- Panama City Bikini Roller Derby
- Forget Teeny Weeny Bikinis This Summer!
- Parents Slam Bikinis aimed at making Children into...
- New, 'sexier' one-piece replaces boring bikini?
- Itsy Bitty, Teeny Weeny Solar-Powered Bikini
- Wet bikini shots left Disturbia star disturbed
- Goodbye bikini bar
- How the Stars Get Bikini Ready
- Swimming to liberty
- Solar powered bikini to charge iPods!
- Defining Summer fashion
- The Tits of Destiny: Wrestling and Bikinis
- Will posing in an online "Hottie Girl" contest hur...
- Walking downtown in a bikini in the middle of cold...
- Oprah: Kirstie Alley beyond the bikini
- Children Used to Market Adult Bikinis: Disturbing
- Pregnant beer babes in Bikinis
- New Lara Croft model: Same boobalicious video hero...
- Bikini Babes of Bollywood
- ‘My bikinis are the USP of my film’
- Kelly Brook in a Bikini
- Bikini scandal nets Keira Knightley $7000
- Malignant Mole Bikini
- Call me Bikini Babe if you like
- Bikini skater going that extra mile for charity
- The bikini: a feminist issue
- 10 Tips from Bikini Bootcamp
- Best & Worst Beach Bodies 2007
- Airline drops ad with singing, bikini-clad Cubans
- Top Ten Resort Wear Essentials
- Benny Benasi - Satisfaction
- Bikini Karate Babes
- Erina Yamaguchi in Bikini
- Gisele Bikini Fashion Show
- Bikini Catwalk Video Pictures
- Bikini Fashion Show Video
- Body Glove Girls Bikini Fashion Show
- Boston 2007 Bikini Fashion Show
- Bikini Models Fashion Show
- Singapore Bikini Fashion Show
- Bikini Hut Fashion Show at Bayside Expo in Boston
- Golden Bikini to Raise Funds for Charity
- A fit that flatters
- Bust is a top priority when shopping
- Trimming around the bikini line
- Burger King Bikinis
- Paris Hilton in a Bikini
- Suggestive, not skimpy
- Whats hot in 2008?
- Old bikini styles new again
- Kelly Brook is Best Bikini Body
- Bikini Barmaids
- Bikini Tree
- Princess Tam-Tam Bikini
- Summer Bikini Trends and Comfort
- HAPPINESS = SWIMSUIT SHOPPING
- Does the bikini have too much hype?
- Bollywood Divas in Bikinis
- Bikinis made of Salmon Skin
- Swimwear should suit body, not trends
- Bikini Runways
- French beaches Vs Topless Sunbathing
- Bikini Blabble
- 80s Bikini Comedies
- Sarah Palin in a Bikini
- Bikini Skiers
- Paris Hilton strips to her bikini in fake election...
- Indonesia Allows Bikinis
- Karolina Kurkova's missing belly button
- Red Sonja delayed until 2011
- Bikini Islanders lose in court
- 2010 Bikini Trend Setters
- Boycotting all clothes made by Peter Nygard
- Padded Bikini Tops For Young Girls?
- Designer Swimwear in the Winter???
- Get outta the office, get into your bikini!