How to Date a Traditional Bear Bow - In the world of archery, "*Bear Archery*" is a brand manufacturer from the USA which was started by Fred Bear. The company has been around for decades - si...
The Toronto Air Show, a poignant reminder of what an invasion sounds like - Every year the sounds of military jet engines breaking the sound barrier while flying over the city of Toronto serve as advertising that the Toronto Air Sh...
Does the bikini have too much hype?
The evolution of the bikini has been interesting.
Now, the bikini is almost a prized piece of art. There’s great fascination around its history, invention and evolution. The bikini was invented to create a fashion sensation. Wow, it’s always got a great reaction! That said, there is a practical aspect in that, it’s much simpler to get in and out of a two-piece than a regular swim costume. Historically, during war time, rationing textile made it more efficient to wear a bikini. It was a dramatic change and made the bikini socially acceptable. That’s what led to the glamourization of two-piece swim costumes. It should be considered that the one-piece costume caused a very similar reaction in the 1910-1930 period, as women were seen for the first time with bare legs, active and outdoors. Glamour women in a bikini had arrived and were making a sensation. When stars like Brigitte Bardot and Ursula Andress began wearing the bikini, the star factor attached itself to their clothing. To feel as glamorous as a movie star, it made perfect sense to copy what they wore.
There is evidence of bikini-shaped garments from antiquity -- Greek images on urns and Roman mosaics depict women athletes wearing what is essentially the modern bikini. The bandeau top is functional and acts as a brassiere for athletes -- ancient and modern. The best-known version of the story is that engineer Louis Reard and fashion designer Jacques Heim invented the ‘Bikini’ in 1946 in Paris -- and named it for the atomic bombs being tested in the Bikini Atoll of the Pacific in July of that year. Apparently, they thought it would cause a similar explosive reaction. Heim & Reard’s ‘Bikini’ was actually quite daring, with a high cut string bottom, although the version that eventually became popular. Gradually, as it became acceptable in Western society to bare the midriff, bikinis have become smaller, and sometimes leave out the top altogether--see Rudi Gernreich’s edgy (and not very popular!) ‘Monokini’. Different styles are acceptable in different places -- a beach in Brazil is different to one in North America.
Fashion wise, the two-piece or bikini just follows the development of the 20th century. First it became acceptable for women to bathe in the sea, and woolen swimming dresses emerged; as women began to assert themselves as athletic and advances were made in fabric technology,synthetic one-piece costumes developed. The next logical step was the simpler two-piece. It’s popularity has in- creased in proportion to the popularity of sunbathing, swimming, beach holidays, and other aspects of modern life. Hence, bikini wars started. To a point, where the bikini became an obsession!
"Men think the bikini is the most sensual garment." - Suneet Varma, Fashion Designer.
The bikini is nothing but a three piece triangle. It’s like the bermuda triangle, where men just lose themselves. It drives men crazy. The bikini makes men forget any other attachment they have. Essentially, the bikini was adapted from the lingerie. It’s almost like an undergarment which can be worn outside.
The evolution of the bikini triggered the inside-outside revolution. Gautlier revolutionised the bikini and corset by making his models wear them on clothes. In fact, La Perla’s colourful bikini tops are worn only under transparent shirts, to show-off. The fashion interpretation of the bikini has been over-glamourised. Now, I see women on Miami beaches wearing bikini briefs with sexy halter tops. I agree, bikini’s the most seductive piece of clothing ever invented.
It has an emotional, physical and metaphysical dimension to it. It can be sensual, sporty, seductive all at the same time. When it’s sporty, bikini’s construction is not so exhibitionist! Most men I know, find it the most exciting piece of garment. Iconic images of a bikini always arouse great curiosity. Men and bikinis have a unique, interesting relationship -- it’s pure erotica. That’s why bikini has been over-glamourised because it’s the briefest garment in the world. The bikini has changed the shape and style of fashion. There’s nothing sexier than the itsy-bitsy, teenie weenie bikini!
Spanish airline Iberia has cut an advertisement showing black Cuban women in bikinis bottle feeding a baby tourist as he sings "feed me...
FASHION - Worried little girls are growing up too fast? British fashion chain Primark recently stopped selling padded bikini tops for litt...
Wrestling companies have often promoted their top stars based on, of all things, a body part. It's not really that difficult to see why;...
According to reports coming from France, sunbathers on the Cote d'Azur, who once adopted a "laissez faire" attitude to nakedne...
It is hard to say exactly when heroines started appearing in bikini in Bollywood, and who was the first gal to strike a pose wearing skimpy ...
The first day of daylight saving brought fine, sunny weather to much of the country yesterday and spurred about 30 hardy souls to carve the...
Though 1980s beach films seem objectifying and anti-feminist , they offer a utopian space where class and gender hierarchies begin to dissol...
April 14, 2007. TEMPERATURES soared this week at the English heats of Miss Hawaiian Tropic - the world's biggest bikini bab...
- Mission Statement
- The History of the Bikini
- Runway Fashion 01
- Laetitia Casta's Fur Bikini
- Bikini News: Ursula's 007 bikini sold in auction
- Faculty Bikini Carwash Generates Controversy
- Spain questions Armani girl in bikini ad
- Mismatched Bikinis
- This advert isn't sexist. Yeah right.
- Bare Essentials for Bikini Season
- Alicia Mayer wears a lettuce bikini for PETA
- Our culture is sexualizing young girls
- Bikini Paradise - The Movie?
- The Bikini Book
- Bikini Accessories
- Workout aims to give you bikini body
- Bikini Village investor eyes expansion
- Students to Compete in Bikini Bowl
- Bikini Fashion 01
- Pregnant Beach Babes
- Brave Kylie models swimwear
- Armani Junior Ad Too Controversial?
- Study Shows Schoolgirls Provocatively Dressed Less...
- Bathing suit guide for all body types
- Size zero vs size 18
- Sports & Sex Forever Intertwined
- Bikinis in Winter???
- Fifties Swimwear Will Heat Up Summer 2007
- Weird Bikini
- Bikini 1946 to Present
- Simple Rules for getting Bikini Fit
- TOP TEN BIKINI HINTS
- Try on that Bikini this Month
- Ryanair's bikini babes
- Mossimo Bikini Summit
- Could Survivor thrive in bikini-less North?
- Courtney Love Wears Bikini After Losing Weight
- Motorbikers all in a lather after bikini-clad bike...
- Firefighter In Bikini Gets Arrested
- Psychiatric evaluation for bikini-clad fireman
- Got the Bikini Blues? It's Not Too Late to Drop a ...
- Funny Bikinis 01
- Funny Bikinis 02
- Funny Bikinis 03
- Getting Fit: Bikini Body Countdown
- Miss Hawaii Bikini Contest
- Baywatch Bikini Party Enrages Muslims in Indonesia...
- Bikini Wax Bars coming to your local city
- Miss Earth 2007 - Bikini Contest
- H&M's Kylie Minogue Bikini Range
- Panama City Bikini Roller Derby
- Forget Teeny Weeny Bikinis This Summer!
- Parents Slam Bikinis aimed at making Children into...
- New, 'sexier' one-piece replaces boring bikini?
- Itsy Bitty, Teeny Weeny Solar-Powered Bikini
- Wet bikini shots left Disturbia star disturbed
- Goodbye bikini bar
- How the Stars Get Bikini Ready
- Swimming to liberty
- Solar powered bikini to charge iPods!
- Defining Summer fashion
- The Tits of Destiny: Wrestling and Bikinis
- Will posing in an online "Hottie Girl" contest hur...
- Walking downtown in a bikini in the middle of cold...
- Oprah: Kirstie Alley beyond the bikini
- Children Used to Market Adult Bikinis: Disturbing
- Pregnant beer babes in Bikinis
- New Lara Croft model: Same boobalicious video hero...
- Bikini Babes of Bollywood
- ‘My bikinis are the USP of my film’
- Kelly Brook in a Bikini
- Bikini scandal nets Keira Knightley $7000
- Malignant Mole Bikini
- Call me Bikini Babe if you like
- Bikini skater going that extra mile for charity
- The bikini: a feminist issue
- 10 Tips from Bikini Bootcamp
- Best & Worst Beach Bodies 2007
- Airline drops ad with singing, bikini-clad Cubans
- Top Ten Resort Wear Essentials
- Benny Benasi - Satisfaction
- Bikini Karate Babes
- Erina Yamaguchi in Bikini
- Gisele Bikini Fashion Show
- Bikini Catwalk Video Pictures
- Bikini Fashion Show Video
- Body Glove Girls Bikini Fashion Show
- Boston 2007 Bikini Fashion Show
- Bikini Models Fashion Show
- Singapore Bikini Fashion Show
- Bikini Hut Fashion Show at Bayside Expo in Boston
- Golden Bikini to Raise Funds for Charity
- A fit that flatters
- Bust is a top priority when shopping
- Trimming around the bikini line
- Burger King Bikinis
- Paris Hilton in a Bikini
- Suggestive, not skimpy
- Whats hot in 2008?
- Old bikini styles new again
- Kelly Brook is Best Bikini Body
- Bikini Barmaids
- Bikini Tree
- Princess Tam-Tam Bikini
- Summer Bikini Trends and Comfort
- HAPPINESS = SWIMSUIT SHOPPING
- Does the bikini have too much hype?
- Bollywood Divas in Bikinis
- Bikinis made of Salmon Skin
- Swimwear should suit body, not trends
- Bikini Runways
- French beaches Vs Topless Sunbathing
- Bikini Blabble
- 80s Bikini Comedies
- Sarah Palin in a Bikini
- Bikini Skiers
- Paris Hilton strips to her bikini in fake election...
- Indonesia Allows Bikinis
- Karolina Kurkova's missing belly button
- Red Sonja delayed until 2011
- Bikini Islanders lose in court
- 2010 Bikini Trend Setters
- Boycotting all clothes made by Peter Nygard
- Padded Bikini Tops For Young Girls?
- Designer Swimwear in the Winter???
- Get outta the office, get into your bikini!