How to Date a Traditional Bear Bow - In the world of archery, "*Bear Archery*" is a brand manufacturer from the USA which was started by Fred Bear. The company has been around for decades - si...
The Toronto Air Show, a poignant reminder of what an invasion sounds like - Every year the sounds of military jet engines breaking the sound barrier while flying over the city of Toronto serve as advertising that the Toronto Air Sh...
A fit that flatters
THERE'S A SWIMSUIT FOR EVERY BODY; THE TOUGH PART IS FINDING IT
Every woman's body is different, which means that just about every body needs a different bathing suit.
The tank suit that looks so good on your neighbor might be flattering on you, too, but it might be even better if the leg were cut just a little bit higher or you went with a bandeau top instead.
Swimwear designer Lori Coulter deems there are 140 measurements relevant in choosing the best swimsuit for your body. Those measurements, taken by a digital body scanner to produce a three-dimensional image of each of her customers, are the basis of each suit produced by her company, Lori Coulter TrueMeasure.
There are 40 basic styles that can be adapted with different necklines, straps, leg heights, built-in bra types, fabrics and embellishments.
But Coulter, whose business is based in St. Louis, also says that personal style and mindset affect which bathing suit is right for you. Even a fabulous figure doesn't mean there isn't a good, better and best suit out there.
Dorothy Abrahams, a 33-year-old actress in New York, finally found the right bathing suit last year for her athletic frame - a J.Crew bikini - so she bought several on sale at the end of the season. "They elongate me. They've got lift, and the bottoms aren't too skimpy, so they're functional but look good."
Before that, she wore boy shorts. She says they're a genius idea but, surprisingly, she finds the smaller bikini bottom more flattering.
Like many women, Ellen Duffield, a 26-year-old British tourist shopping in Manhattan on a recent day, noted that her bottom is a bigger size than her top. She opts for bikini separates, usually a halter-style top and a medium coverage bottom.
According to Coulter's letter-based system of categorizing shapes, Duffield would be an "A," a narrower top and wider bottom.
A halter really is ideal for a woman with a V-shaped figure, someone who is broader on top, or an "0" shape, a full trunk often with slender arms and legs, Coulter says, but it actually works on almost anyone as long as she doesn't have very narrow shoulders.
Coulter's other recommendations, based on swimsuit shape:
A tank gives good coverage and bust support and is best suited for classic hourglass "X" figures or for "V" figures. Especially on an X, Coulter says the tank "is not a boring suit."
String bikinis are surprisingly flattering to a lot of figures. An "A," with narrow shoulders and wider hips, benefits from the smaller bottom on this kind of suit because it makes the bottom appear proportional.
The string top, with its triangles covering the bust, helps emphasize the bust and define the waist of an "H" shape, someone with an equally proportioned upper and lower torso, a straight waist and typically slender arms and legs. "An H looks great in a bikini almost all the time. You want the lower rise to elongate the waist," Coulter explains.
An "X" also can wear a string bikini if she's petite and the swimsuit isn't too skimpy.
A bandeau top is for women with a C-cup bust or smaller. It works best on H and A figures because they don't have overpowering shoulders.
A skirted suit is not Coulter's favorite silhouette on anyone, since she almost always recommends a higher leg opening to create an inverted V at the hips. But, she adds, a woman with full square hips and slim legs might find the skirt flattering.
The boy short is another style that Coulter steers women away from. "It's for the surfers or people doing athletics and have great bodies. It's hard to wear."
Coulter leaves the question of wearing a one- or two-piece suit up to the individual, since you don't really know which one will look better until you try it on.
"The one-piece is on the comeback, but if you have a great body and you want to show it off, the bikini never goes out of style."
Spanish airline Iberia has cut an advertisement showing black Cuban women in bikinis bottle feeding a baby tourist as he sings "feed me...
FASHION - Worried little girls are growing up too fast? British fashion chain Primark recently stopped selling padded bikini tops for litt...
Wrestling companies have often promoted their top stars based on, of all things, a body part. It's not really that difficult to see why;...
According to reports coming from France, sunbathers on the Cote d'Azur, who once adopted a "laissez faire" attitude to nakedne...
It is hard to say exactly when heroines started appearing in bikini in Bollywood, and who was the first gal to strike a pose wearing skimpy ...
The first day of daylight saving brought fine, sunny weather to much of the country yesterday and spurred about 30 hardy souls to carve the...
Though 1980s beach films seem objectifying and anti-feminist , they offer a utopian space where class and gender hierarchies begin to dissol...
April 14, 2007. TEMPERATURES soared this week at the English heats of Miss Hawaiian Tropic - the world's biggest bikini bab...
- Mission Statement
- The History of the Bikini
- Runway Fashion 01
- Laetitia Casta's Fur Bikini
- Bikini News: Ursula's 007 bikini sold in auction
- Faculty Bikini Carwash Generates Controversy
- Spain questions Armani girl in bikini ad
- Mismatched Bikinis
- This advert isn't sexist. Yeah right.
- Bare Essentials for Bikini Season
- Alicia Mayer wears a lettuce bikini for PETA
- Our culture is sexualizing young girls
- Bikini Paradise - The Movie?
- The Bikini Book
- Bikini Accessories
- Workout aims to give you bikini body
- Bikini Village investor eyes expansion
- Students to Compete in Bikini Bowl
- Bikini Fashion 01
- Pregnant Beach Babes
- Brave Kylie models swimwear
- Armani Junior Ad Too Controversial?
- Study Shows Schoolgirls Provocatively Dressed Less...
- Bathing suit guide for all body types
- Size zero vs size 18
- Sports & Sex Forever Intertwined
- Bikinis in Winter???
- Fifties Swimwear Will Heat Up Summer 2007
- Weird Bikini
- Bikini 1946 to Present
- Simple Rules for getting Bikini Fit
- TOP TEN BIKINI HINTS
- Try on that Bikini this Month
- Ryanair's bikini babes
- Mossimo Bikini Summit
- Could Survivor thrive in bikini-less North?
- Courtney Love Wears Bikini After Losing Weight
- Motorbikers all in a lather after bikini-clad bike...
- Firefighter In Bikini Gets Arrested
- Psychiatric evaluation for bikini-clad fireman
- Got the Bikini Blues? It's Not Too Late to Drop a ...
- Funny Bikinis 01
- Funny Bikinis 02
- Funny Bikinis 03
- Getting Fit: Bikini Body Countdown
- Miss Hawaii Bikini Contest
- Baywatch Bikini Party Enrages Muslims in Indonesia...
- Bikini Wax Bars coming to your local city
- Miss Earth 2007 - Bikini Contest
- H&M's Kylie Minogue Bikini Range
- Panama City Bikini Roller Derby
- Forget Teeny Weeny Bikinis This Summer!
- Parents Slam Bikinis aimed at making Children into...
- New, 'sexier' one-piece replaces boring bikini?
- Itsy Bitty, Teeny Weeny Solar-Powered Bikini
- Wet bikini shots left Disturbia star disturbed
- Goodbye bikini bar
- How the Stars Get Bikini Ready
- Swimming to liberty
- Solar powered bikini to charge iPods!
- Defining Summer fashion
- The Tits of Destiny: Wrestling and Bikinis
- Will posing in an online "Hottie Girl" contest hur...
- Walking downtown in a bikini in the middle of cold...
- Oprah: Kirstie Alley beyond the bikini
- Children Used to Market Adult Bikinis: Disturbing
- Pregnant beer babes in Bikinis
- New Lara Croft model: Same boobalicious video hero...
- Bikini Babes of Bollywood
- ‘My bikinis are the USP of my film’
- Kelly Brook in a Bikini
- Bikini scandal nets Keira Knightley $7000
- Malignant Mole Bikini
- Call me Bikini Babe if you like
- Bikini skater going that extra mile for charity
- The bikini: a feminist issue
- 10 Tips from Bikini Bootcamp
- Best & Worst Beach Bodies 2007
- Airline drops ad with singing, bikini-clad Cubans
- Top Ten Resort Wear Essentials
- Benny Benasi - Satisfaction
- Bikini Karate Babes
- Erina Yamaguchi in Bikini
- Gisele Bikini Fashion Show
- Bikini Catwalk Video Pictures
- Bikini Fashion Show Video
- Body Glove Girls Bikini Fashion Show
- Boston 2007 Bikini Fashion Show
- Bikini Models Fashion Show
- Singapore Bikini Fashion Show
- Bikini Hut Fashion Show at Bayside Expo in Boston
- Golden Bikini to Raise Funds for Charity
- A fit that flatters
- Bust is a top priority when shopping
- Trimming around the bikini line
- Burger King Bikinis
- Paris Hilton in a Bikini
- Suggestive, not skimpy
- Whats hot in 2008?
- Old bikini styles new again
- Kelly Brook is Best Bikini Body
- Bikini Barmaids
- Bikini Tree
- Princess Tam-Tam Bikini
- Summer Bikini Trends and Comfort
- HAPPINESS = SWIMSUIT SHOPPING
- Does the bikini have too much hype?
- Bollywood Divas in Bikinis
- Bikinis made of Salmon Skin
- Swimwear should suit body, not trends
- Bikini Runways
- French beaches Vs Topless Sunbathing
- Bikini Blabble
- 80s Bikini Comedies
- Sarah Palin in a Bikini
- Bikini Skiers
- Paris Hilton strips to her bikini in fake election...
- Indonesia Allows Bikinis
- Karolina Kurkova's missing belly button
- Red Sonja delayed until 2011
- Bikini Islanders lose in court
- 2010 Bikini Trend Setters
- Boycotting all clothes made by Peter Nygard
- Padded Bikini Tops For Young Girls?
- Designer Swimwear in the Winter???
- Get outta the office, get into your bikini!