How to Date a Traditional Bear Bow - In the world of archery, "*Bear Archery*" is a brand manufacturer from the USA which was started by Fred Bear. The company has been around for decades - si...
The Toronto Air Show, a poignant reminder of what an invasion sounds like - Every year the sounds of military jet engines breaking the sound barrier while flying over the city of Toronto serve as advertising that the Toronto Air Sh...
Oprah: Kirstie Alley beyond the bikini
So everyone knows that Kirstie Alley pranced on Oprah's stage yesterday to keep her promise of showing off her slimmer body in a bikini. Kirstie lost 75 pounds from a high of 220. The video broke out online early in the day before the Oprah episode aired here in the Bay Area. I wanted to see the show before I made any comment on the video, and I'm glad I did.
Kirstieoprah_1 In the video clip, all you saw was the first 30 seconds or so of Kirstie's unveiling. Many of the comments on the other blogs/sites where the video was posted early were mostly positive, but there were a good deal that were negative. The message behind the bikini prance was much deeper than to say, "Hey don't I look hot now." It was about giving some courage and relief to other women about their bodies because we are so obssessed about tying our value and esteem to the way we look.
If we don't fit a mold or are not perfect, many of us feel we have no right to be so bold as to celebrate our selves as the beautiful women we all are. Kirstie is no Giselle but she is also not 220 pounds anymore. Dropping 75 pounds is a big accomplishment, and more importantly Kirstie is using her experience to help encourage others.
Kirstie made this appearance on Oprah not as a publicity stunt but as a way to show other women, "Hey you are good enough!" From the Oprah website show summary:
"At age 55, Kirstie now feels comfortable in her own skin. "I don't think women ever feel like we're good enough," she says. "We don't feel like we're thin enough or pretty enough or smart enough or work hard enough … We all are good enough and we look good enough and we are not our bodies, you know?"
Bravo! Following Kirstie's story there were follow ups on other guests including a 22 year-old young lady who lost 170 pounds and looked so amazingly happy, two girls who survived the Rwandan genocide and were reunited with their parents almost a decade later, and another woman who worked at Starbucks and somehow supported 10 children and her own mother. With Oprah's help she has a new house, and college money for each one of the kids. Bono's Product (RED) endeavor has already raised $15 million. Buy (RED) this holiday.
The whole Oprah episode was incredibly uplifting, and I'm very glad I stay tuned to watch the whole thing. It's awesome to watch something on TV and walk away feeling good.
Spanish airline Iberia has cut an advertisement showing black Cuban women in bikinis bottle feeding a baby tourist as he sings "feed me...
FASHION - Worried little girls are growing up too fast? British fashion chain Primark recently stopped selling padded bikini tops for litt...
Wrestling companies have often promoted their top stars based on, of all things, a body part. It's not really that difficult to see why;...
According to reports coming from France, sunbathers on the Cote d'Azur, who once adopted a "laissez faire" attitude to nakedne...
It is hard to say exactly when heroines started appearing in bikini in Bollywood, and who was the first gal to strike a pose wearing skimpy ...
The first day of daylight saving brought fine, sunny weather to much of the country yesterday and spurred about 30 hardy souls to carve the...
Though 1980s beach films seem objectifying and anti-feminist , they offer a utopian space where class and gender hierarchies begin to dissol...
April 14, 2007. TEMPERATURES soared this week at the English heats of Miss Hawaiian Tropic - the world's biggest bikini bab...
- Mission Statement
- The History of the Bikini
- Runway Fashion 01
- Laetitia Casta's Fur Bikini
- Bikini News: Ursula's 007 bikini sold in auction
- Faculty Bikini Carwash Generates Controversy
- Spain questions Armani girl in bikini ad
- Mismatched Bikinis
- This advert isn't sexist. Yeah right.
- Bare Essentials for Bikini Season
- Alicia Mayer wears a lettuce bikini for PETA
- Our culture is sexualizing young girls
- Bikini Paradise - The Movie?
- The Bikini Book
- Bikini Accessories
- Workout aims to give you bikini body
- Bikini Village investor eyes expansion
- Students to Compete in Bikini Bowl
- Bikini Fashion 01
- Pregnant Beach Babes
- Brave Kylie models swimwear
- Armani Junior Ad Too Controversial?
- Study Shows Schoolgirls Provocatively Dressed Less...
- Bathing suit guide for all body types
- Size zero vs size 18
- Sports & Sex Forever Intertwined
- Bikinis in Winter???
- Fifties Swimwear Will Heat Up Summer 2007
- Weird Bikini
- Bikini 1946 to Present
- Simple Rules for getting Bikini Fit
- TOP TEN BIKINI HINTS
- Try on that Bikini this Month
- Ryanair's bikini babes
- Mossimo Bikini Summit
- Could Survivor thrive in bikini-less North?
- Courtney Love Wears Bikini After Losing Weight
- Motorbikers all in a lather after bikini-clad bike...
- Firefighter In Bikini Gets Arrested
- Psychiatric evaluation for bikini-clad fireman
- Got the Bikini Blues? It's Not Too Late to Drop a ...
- Funny Bikinis 01
- Funny Bikinis 02
- Funny Bikinis 03
- Getting Fit: Bikini Body Countdown
- Miss Hawaii Bikini Contest
- Baywatch Bikini Party Enrages Muslims in Indonesia...
- Bikini Wax Bars coming to your local city
- Miss Earth 2007 - Bikini Contest
- H&M's Kylie Minogue Bikini Range
- Panama City Bikini Roller Derby
- Forget Teeny Weeny Bikinis This Summer!
- Parents Slam Bikinis aimed at making Children into...
- New, 'sexier' one-piece replaces boring bikini?
- Itsy Bitty, Teeny Weeny Solar-Powered Bikini
- Wet bikini shots left Disturbia star disturbed
- Goodbye bikini bar
- How the Stars Get Bikini Ready
- Swimming to liberty
- Solar powered bikini to charge iPods!
- Defining Summer fashion
- The Tits of Destiny: Wrestling and Bikinis
- Will posing in an online "Hottie Girl" contest hur...
- Walking downtown in a bikini in the middle of cold...
- Oprah: Kirstie Alley beyond the bikini
- Children Used to Market Adult Bikinis: Disturbing
- Pregnant beer babes in Bikinis
- New Lara Croft model: Same boobalicious video hero...
- Bikini Babes of Bollywood
- ‘My bikinis are the USP of my film’
- Kelly Brook in a Bikini
- Bikini scandal nets Keira Knightley $7000
- Malignant Mole Bikini
- Call me Bikini Babe if you like
- Bikini skater going that extra mile for charity
- The bikini: a feminist issue
- 10 Tips from Bikini Bootcamp
- Best & Worst Beach Bodies 2007
- Airline drops ad with singing, bikini-clad Cubans
- Top Ten Resort Wear Essentials
- Benny Benasi - Satisfaction
- Bikini Karate Babes
- Erina Yamaguchi in Bikini
- Gisele Bikini Fashion Show
- Bikini Catwalk Video Pictures
- Bikini Fashion Show Video
- Body Glove Girls Bikini Fashion Show
- Boston 2007 Bikini Fashion Show
- Bikini Models Fashion Show
- Singapore Bikini Fashion Show
- Bikini Hut Fashion Show at Bayside Expo in Boston
- Golden Bikini to Raise Funds for Charity
- A fit that flatters
- Bust is a top priority when shopping
- Trimming around the bikini line
- Burger King Bikinis
- Paris Hilton in a Bikini
- Suggestive, not skimpy
- Whats hot in 2008?
- Old bikini styles new again
- Kelly Brook is Best Bikini Body
- Bikini Barmaids
- Bikini Tree
- Princess Tam-Tam Bikini
- Summer Bikini Trends and Comfort
- HAPPINESS = SWIMSUIT SHOPPING
- Does the bikini have too much hype?
- Bollywood Divas in Bikinis
- Bikinis made of Salmon Skin
- Swimwear should suit body, not trends
- Bikini Runways
- French beaches Vs Topless Sunbathing
- Bikini Blabble
- 80s Bikini Comedies
- Sarah Palin in a Bikini
- Bikini Skiers
- Paris Hilton strips to her bikini in fake election...
- Indonesia Allows Bikinis
- Karolina Kurkova's missing belly button
- Red Sonja delayed until 2011
- Bikini Islanders lose in court
- 2010 Bikini Trend Setters
- Boycotting all clothes made by Peter Nygard
- Padded Bikini Tops For Young Girls?
- Designer Swimwear in the Winter???
- Get outta the office, get into your bikini!